What is FESTA?
FESTA is a vibrant weekend celebration of urban creativity and regeneration. It is an opportunity for the public to experience a reimagined Christchurch, comprising imaginative architectural installations, workshops, talks, pop-up projects, family events, tours, live performance, artworks and more. Our headline event – a spectacular temporary city – attracts thousands at each edition and is live for one night only.
FESTA all starts with a horde of creative people who imagine how Christchurch could be different. These imaginative people translate their visions of the kind of city they most desire into a live event or project and present it over Labour Weekend.
The purpose of FESTA is to:
- create a platform for city-makers and citizens to imagine and experience Christchurch differently
- celebrate the culture of creativity, active citizenship and hope that has emerged in Christchurch since the earthquakes
- encourage more people to get involved in the remaking of their city, bringing tens of thousands of people into the city for one occasion
- provide a positive, collective experience of the changing central city
- stimulate longer-term change in how and who makes Christchurch.
The inaugural FESTA took place in 2012 and was a collaboration of like-minded organisations and individuals responding to the challenges and opportunities in post-quake Christchurch. In 2016 we had a strong focus on sustainability through the reuse of waste materials in design.
In 2016 we were delighted to work with Superuse Studios; Rekindle; Gap Filler; Greening the Rubble; Life in Vacant Spaces; Unitec, Department of Architecture; AUT, Spatial Design; Massey University, School of Design at the College of Creative Arts; Ara School of Architectural Studies; University of Technology Sydney, Architecture School; University of South Australia, Art, Architecture and Design; University of Adelaide, School of Architecture and Built Environment; Melbourne School of Design; PechaKucha Night Christchurch; Field Architecture and many more.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our team and governance
FESTA is presented and produced by the team at Te Pūtahi – Christchurch centre for architecture and city-making. Te Pūtahi is governed by a registered charity, the Christchurch Transitional Architecture Trust.